Indian Republic Day honors the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect on 26 January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India. The Constitution was adopted by the Indian Constituent Assembly on 26 November 1949 and came into effect on 26 January 1950 with a democratic government system, completing the country’s transition towards becoming an independent republic.
What is a constitution? why do we need a constitution for a country?
A Constitution helps serve as a set of rules and principles that all persons in a country can agree upon as the basis of the way in which they want the country to be governed. The constitution also spells out the ideals the citizens believe that their country should uphold. Constitution is a set of laws helps a country to run smoothly provides the basic framework for the functioning of a state. It also provide protection to the fundamentals of the citizens The Constitution of India provides its citizens with six fundamental rights.
- Right to Freedom,
- Right to Equality,
- Cultural and Educational Rights,
- Right to Constitutional Remedies,
- Right against Exploitation,
- Right against Exploitation.
- Recently, the Right to Privacy has also been added to fundamental rights.
Difference between Indian and other constitutions?
- The Indian constitution is formally written in the document. While many countries don’t have any written constitution document. It is written in India and written by an Indian scholar. Every article inserted after a long debate and every debate are now also available in our Parliament by written in the book
- The Constitution of many countries is very rigid than the Indian Constitution
- While many countries have the Presidential form of Government, India has the Parliamentary form of Government
- Only the Indian constitution is written in multiple languages.
Why 26th January was chosen for the Republic day celebration?
26 January was chosen as the Republic day because it was on this day in 1930 when the Declaration of Indian Independence (Purna Swaraj) was proclaimed by the Indian National Congress as opposed to the Dominion status offered by British Regime. To remember that day Indian leaders decided to celebrate and remember that day as well along with Republic day.
Duration for this celebration?
The Republic day celebration is a three-day affair. Celebration starts on 26 January with the Republic Day parade
Celebrations end on January 29 with the Beating Retreat ceremony. The ceremony is held Vijay Chowk where bands of the Indian Army, Indian Air Force, and Indian Navy perform.
Which other country constitution studied?
Image is taken from www.civilserviceindia.com If you are planning to go to the Republic day parade. You can get tickets and other details here